Monday, September 30, 2013

Who Even Cares About the Pledge?

Earlier this week I experienced something very awkward. While I was in the math office Thursday taking a quiz, the announcements came on.
"May you please stand for the pledge of allegiance..." I slowly looked around and got up. I was the only one who stood up. I was right in the middle of taking my quiz, but I could take twenty seconds to stand up and pledge my loyalty to my country. Because that's what the pledge is, "allegiance", "one nation", "justice for all". These are basic principles that I believe every American should believe in. 

My heart was racing, and everyone was staring at me. The teacher sitting at the table adjacent to me actually turned his back to me. He took a double take at the flag, as if he was debating whether or not to stand up. The same thing happens every day at the beginning of advisory, I stand up and people will give me weird looks. Part of me is glad that we live in a a country where you are not forced to say the pledge. But, I feel it is your duty as an American to stand up and repeat the pledge, or at the very least just to stand up. But I also strongly believe no one can force you to do or say anything you don't want to. That is the beauty of living in a democratic republic country with basic human rights. Therefore, if you do not want to stand for the pledge, you have the right not to. Right?

Morton Grove Park District Commissioner, Dan Ashta, argues that by not standing up for the pledge at park board meetings, he is just expressing his freedom of speech. I completely agree, but when local vetern groups caught wind of Ashta choosing not to stand for the pledge, they decided to cease all donations to the park district until he stood up. Joseph Lampert, a vetern commander, says, "nowhere did we say that he has to recite the pledge or put his hand over his heart. We would just like to see him stand out of respect" (Lampert).  To which Ashta simply responds, "by having the pledge on the agenda, the park board is potentially infringing upon the freedom of speech guaranteed by the Constitution" (Ashta). Does it seem logical to halt all donations to a community organized government, just because one board member chose not to stand up during the pledge? Not really, and therefore I think the veterans groups took the situation too far. But I know there are plenty of people who would disagree with me.

Do you think it should be an american value to stand up during the pledge? Or do you think it is your right to not stand for the pledge?
Comment with your thoughts below!


6 comments:

  1. Great blog Jack. Personally I believe every American should stand and say the pledge because I believe, regardless of political views or social status, the principles mentioned above should and are common beliefs of the vast majority of Americans. However, I do hear some kids in my advisory not stand because they do not believe in "one nation under God". Obviously i am fine with whatever they believe religiously, but I still think it would be right to stand and just leave out that line because we as a country are fortunate enough to have those freedoms and rights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Griffin, you bring up some very interesting points. If people feel uncomfortable with saying "one nation under God", I agree with you that they should leave out the line. But the rest has some real meaning behind it. I found this one cartoon rather moving. Do people think that when they say the pledge they are honoring the men and women in the military? Or is it just an oath to a country?

    Link to cartoon: http://perfidem.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/pledgestandingkids.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really makes you think and reasses your values.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jack and Griffin, I completely agree with you both. After looking at the cartoon, I think that saying the pledge shows respect towards the men and women who have fought for our nation, in addition to being an oath. These brave Americans put their lives on the line for our freedom, so the least we can do is show our appreciation to them by reciting, or at least standing for the pledge. I think that out of respect for our vets and the sacrifices they have made, it is our duty to do so. Although I understand that as Americans we have many freedoms, I think that there is a limit and that laws about standing for the pledge should exist simply because not standing for the pledge seems disrespectful to our nation. I think it is kind of the same situation as with the burning of the flag - although America is a free country, we should not be allowed to commit actions that are disrespectful to our nation and fellow citizens. There should be a law that says that American citizens must at least stand the pledge, although maybe it shouldn't include that they have to say it for the reason that Griffin alluded to earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jack, nice job blogging this term. you've covered a lot of ground. The topic you've chosed in this post is interesting but it never quite develops. You never join an ongoing conversation by linking to a text. The subsequent cartoon link would have been a start, but can we examine this issue more critically, in a less polemical fashion? Either we stand and love our country or we don't and we are utterly apathetic? Let's aim for nuance. How do you feel, for example about the flag-waiving pledgers who vote against funding for veterans' health care?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your comments OC, you're right I was too polemical in my first attempt with this blog post. As you can see I went back and edited the post to be more neutral, and less black and white. I thought it was an interesting link I made with someone who refused to stand for the pledge, and was being called out for it. Please read my updated version and comment with other suggestions!

    ReplyDelete