Sunday, February 2, 2014

Politics: How Much Do You Care

As I stumbled around the Interwebs, I came across this video of CNN's Jake Tapper interviewing Obama. He (Tapper) uses a very casual interviewing process, by conducting the interview in a factory. Tapper also began the interview by discussing how Obama's daughters choose to not talk about politics, an interesting start to the conversation. I pondered as to why Tapper would have started it this way. I may be wrong, but I think Tapper did this because he was trying to connect with a wider audience. It let the younger audience, especially those not interested in politics, stay engaged because they saw the smiling President admitting his own daughters do not care about politics. Hey! Since the Presidents daughter's don't care about politics, why should I?

When you make the audience think in this way, you actually further engage their attention. You let them connect their own lives to someone famous, and therefore they listen more to what that famous person has to say. I think it is a brilliant tactic, and it kept me engaged as well. In my American Studies class, we discussed how to interview people earlier this year. Everything is about appealing to your audience. If you can do that, then you will make the most out of the interview.

Do you, like Obama's daughters, not care about politics? Why, or why not? If you have a neutral position, what did you think about Tapper's choice of entrance? Was it effective? Why, or why not?
Leave your comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment